Forum Thread: No internet address Kali Linux 2.0! Cannot connect to wifi?!

PLEASE HELP ME! EVERYTIME I TRY TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET, I DON'T HAVE A FREAKIN INTERNET ADDRESS! SOMETIMES I MAY RESTART AND IT CONNECTS, BUT MAJORITY OF THE TIME THERE IS NO INTERNET ADDRESS TO CONNECT TO! WTF IS HAPPENING THIS IS SO ANNOYING! P.S. I AM DUAL BOOTING KALI LINUX ON REAL HARDWARE! NOT VIRTUAL MACHINE! HERE ARE MY SETTINGS:

root@kali:~# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 50:7b:9d:51:43:5d
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:20 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:20 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1200 (1.1 KiB) TX bytes:1200 (1.1 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 18:4f:32:58:94:4b
inet6 addr: fe80::1a4f:32ff:fe58:944b/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:2989 errors:0 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:247 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:613793 (599.4 KiB) TX bytes:56557 (55.2 KiB)

HERE IS THE etc/internet/interfaces file:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet dhcp
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.1.224
netmask 255.0.0.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

22 Responses

Holy CRAP@! THANK YOU!!! I HAVE SEARCHED EVERYWHERE AND YOU ARE THE FIRST TO COME UP WITH THE CORRECT ANSWER! YOU SHOULD FEEL PROUD!

I read somewhere that Kali runs (only?) on wifi adapters using a Raltek chipset...

I don't believe so, because I was able to connect before, but now I am not able to anymore.

Then I must have read wrong..

That only applies to Virtual Machines.

It's not true for virtual machines, either.

I have ran Kali using Ralink, Realtek, and Ubiquiti chipsets. My favorite for wifi on Kali is Ralink... Easiest on the system hardware

I'm sorry nevermind, one I have tried dhclient again, it does not work.

Have you tried change Static to Dynamic,so it can obtain available IP's itself ? DHCP?

Your netmask is wrong, I think. Change it to 255.255.255.0 and that'll help it find which subnet to begin with and receive a proper IP.

Definitely make it DHCP and not static. 255.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.0

Could anyone please explain what DHCP is and how its different from other connections?

And whats the difference between Static and dynamic. (I think one of them can be changed while the other can't?) Is there a reason for them?

Well first you need to know that DHCP stands for Dynamic Host configuration Protocol. DHCP basically assigns ip addresses to clients on the network either static, meaning that the ip address does not change overtime, or dynamic, meaning that it DOES change overtime. The way the ip address changes overtime is that when its time to change the ip address, your computer will send a message to the server. It will ask the server to keep this Ip address for a while longer, and if the server responds and says yes, the IP stays for the same amount of time. Now lets say that the server says no? If the server declines, or does not respond to the request in time, then the computer will go back to the DHCP server for another (new) IP address.

Additionally to what Excell Man said, all NICs are naturally configured as DHCP, especially in windows. If the network card or your IP needs to be static, then 9 times outta 10 you'll have to do it manually. So, you ask now, "well, how do I know what to set the parameters as?" Normally, you can get that information from your ISP. For the most part you'll only need to set your networking settings as static for when you're hosting a server, such as a web server, SSH server, an FTP or whatever. Normally, DHCP is the natural choice for any node on the network. Or, if you particularly want to set a group of IP's for a certain group of devices, such as you may want your gateway to have a certain IP and all routers to have their IPs to come immediately afterwards. For example, the gateway might be 192.!68.1.1, your two routers throughout thrvhouse to carry 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3, etc. Then, you may wanna have YOUR PERSONAL devices be 192.168.1.5 through 192.168.1.10, and your sister's to have the IP range of 192.168.1.11 to 192.168.1.15, etc. Static IP's could simply be used for device organization. That way you're able to memorize who is who and what is what. You'll never have to look 'em up. I had me network setup like that because I'm an organizational freak and it gives me a sense of order and control. Anything random and outside the designated ranges raises a red flag. ;)

I reinstalled Kali Linux 2.0 64BIT and now having the SAME PROBLEM!! dhclient is no longer working. Please ANYONE?

Make certain networking is set to NAT and then type dhclient eth0.

I was having issues using static IP, I could Ping but could not resolve DSN, Issue was resolved by running "service smbd start" I can now resolve domains.

Try adding profile in wired settings, click DHCP and click add. I resolved mine using that method.

I am new to kali linux. I installed it using bootable usb and while booting it I didn't get dhcp configuration and I continued without it. Cuz even I tried auto configuration and every option and still there was problem in dhcp. Nw I'm using kali linux with usb tethering but I'm unable to connect to any wireless networks even I can't switch on Bluetooth. Totally my wireless connections aren't working. I tried days to get it working but I failed. Can anyone please help me. Please. I tried many options of IFCONFIG but I got no wlan0 no such device. So could somehow help me to figure a way out

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active