Forum Thread: Kali Linux Full Installed Usb Boot vs Live Persistence Usb Boot

Background:

Hello guys! I am currently operating Kali Linux on a virtual machine with windows 10 as host, and would like to switch to a USB boot.

Problem:

I understand that Kali usually operates on root, and to perform various attacks, most of the time root access is required. Now this could potentially brick the whole machine if accidents/mistakes were made while having this root privilege, if Kali installed through dual boot (windows)

Question:
Does the above problem exist if Kali were booted via Live Persistent USB, or Fully installed USB.

Main Concern:

I don't mind backing up my standard devices and their partitions on my machine prior to the Live USB boot, or full installation. However I find it quite time consuming if I have to back up my machine every time I boot Kali due to the damage root privilege can cause (as recommended if I were to do a dual boot). Now the problem stated does not exist with the VM, and I would like to do the same with a USB on my machine instead because I would like to fully utilize my machine's RAM, CPU, and to update the OS if necessary; but I don't want keep backing up my drives every time I boot Kali.

So ultimately: which method should I go with

1. Live Persistent USB boot
  2. Fully Installed USB boot

Thanks in advance!

Be the First to Respond

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active