Forum Thread: Losing Mind Over Kali Linux VM Not Detecting External USB Adapter

Okay, so how do I go about getting Kali Linux on VMWare to detect my damn wifi adapter? I've spent literally 30+ hours trying to figure this out. There is no help online. I can connect via ethernet, but that's not what I want to learn. I want to learn pentesting. I went and got a good wifi adapter that's suited(apparently) for pentesting, and it just won't work with Kali. It is the TP-LINK Archer T4UHP. I have tried bridging. I have tried virtual box. I have plugged and unplugged so many times. I have tried every command. Every video says to download "compat wireless 2.6" from 2010-06-26(I remember this from memory! wtf), but that file does not exist where they say it does. I don't know what to do. I can't figure this out. I need help from someone who knows what they are doing. I don't want to give up on this. Please help me.

4 Responses

First off... calm down. Second of, VM doesn't support external wifi adapters well. Your best bet is to try a live boot instead of virtual machine. The VM is used for more like testing out the distro instead of actual using it. I hope this helps. If you have any questions please PM (?) me.

I don't know if there are any PMs on this site. I made this account just to get help(I browse and do lots of things on my own). So a live boot is like, using a usb or like, using a cheap laptop to partition for Kali?

Using a USB I believe... here's a link. Hope that helps.

Alpha wifi adapter AWUS036N 2000 watts works out of the box. And it unlocked unlike the retail crap and alot stronger.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active