Forum Thread: TP-LINK WN822N Wireless USB Adapter Not Getting Detected in Kali Linux

I bought TP-LINK TL-WN822N wireless USB adapter to get the wireless connections on Kali Linux which is installed on Virtual Box hosted on Windows 7.

But it is not getting detected in Kali linux. i have already added the device into the Virtual Box USB device filter list, still no luck.

The device is working fine on my host machine which is windows 7, but not working at all on Kali Linux.

Any advice will be of great help.

5 Responses

Try installing the wifi adapter drivers first

Hi,

I'm having the same problems with my Kali install on my raspberry pi. It will not recognize my TP LINK TL-WN822N V2. I see in the bootlog it quits with errorcode -2 and something about firmware not being recognized. lsmod shows the ATH9K modules active... I found some solutions in different fora but they all link to dead downloads for something called "orbit" and "linux wireless"... Anyone know how to solve this?? I have exactly the same problem for my other high gain WIFI dongle (RTL8191SU). Any suggestions on how to activate it/them??

Bro I had the same problem but not the exactly the same (thanks to latest kali 2017.3). In my case it detected the device but its range was even lesser than inbuilt adapter. One thing you can do is, download the rtl8192 drivers manually and install it(u can take the help of youtube videos) and see if it works out for you. At last I want to ask you a question out of curiosity of my mind that why did u buy this model of tp-link adapter ?? Cuz.. I am pretty sure that only first two version of this model support monitor mode, so replace it if u have ver3 or ver4 model. You can instead buy TP-LINK WN722N Wireless USB Adapter, which supports monitor mode.

Good luck

hello, any1 fix this issue? I recently installed the latest Kali Linux, updated and upgraded drivers and system and the wn822n V3 still isn't detected. it used to work fine about 3 years ago in another laptop of mine, even monitor mode was working (with rtl8192cu somehow) but now it doesn't even detect it. any help please, thanks.

EDIT: it seems to be a problem with the new virtual box version. I installed the virtual box version from the end of 2015 and it detected fine.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active