Forum Thread: Kali Linux 2.0 USB Boot (Help)

Hi there fellow hackers, I am currently having trouble installing Kali Linux 2.0 onto usb...

So I have currently installed the Kali 2.0 64bit (as my system is 64bit)
Next I have used Win32 Disk Imager to get the .iso onto a 8gb usb
Then I plug in my usb, and power my laptop on
Press F12 to change boot order to boot from usb first
It then boots into the Kali menu
As I am planning to run Kali on live
I press live, and all runs smoothly..
Until it hits this part where it says
"kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
unknown block(0,0)"
What am I doing wrong? Or what can I do to fix this?

Thanks.

17 Responses

Hey hi!

Your iso have probably been altered while create your bootable Usb, i highly suggest that you rather use
# Rufus: https://rufus.akeo.ie/ #

If you are creating the Usb on a Windows host machine, This is an Executable programs that works perfectly and have never failed to me in many years, Youl found Option to:

#: List Usb as Hard Drives.
#: Add Fixes for old Bios version (Helpfull).

You also want to make sure you have downloaded the good .Iso files (no to mistake with Virtual Hard Drive Image (VHD), Or with a Mini/Live .Iso Files.

Using Rufus, If you plan to use Kali Live often theyre is a really handy option also to Create it + Leaving consistant Free available space to would gave you some additionnal space when needed i.e: for an 8Gb Usb + 2Gb Kali linux Iso, you can merge that 6Gb left which let you still have some space to save stuff even if running live mode.

Best Regards!

Hello V3N0Mz!

Let me just start by saying I am eager to help, and learn, but I am fairly new to the hacking world and this is my first reply to anything on Nullbyte... so don't expect too much out of me. Haha!

Sounds to me like John Doe pretty much covered it.
But this is what I did:
Use FAT32 when formatting the flashdrive prior to using Unetbootin (an alternative to Rufus) to load the ISO file.

I thought this was worth mentioning since I ran into a problem when using NTFS instead of FAT32.

Hope it helps!

Esquilax

Yeah it normal >< Since Ntfs is the Windows system files, you could have an hard time booting a linux system out-of it ><

Oh, good to know! Thanks, John Doe.

Just thought I'd throw it out there since I don't recall seeing anything about that in any of the Kali installation guides that I came by.

Esquilax

Thank you VERY much for your insights onto this guys. I will try this out and get back to you guys, thanks.

So I click start on Rufus and it says that Syslinux 6.03/20150107 but this application only includes the installation files for Syslinux 6.03/2014-10-06.

What should I do now?

click yes it will grab it for you

2 sec before creating your Usb (if not already done) il write all an exemple of a setting.

#partition scheme and target:
Mbr and Bios
#File system
fat32
#Cluster Size
Click on: Restore device to default, it will auto select the default cluster size for your specific Usb
#New Volume Label
the name you want aka Kali

---
Now click the little arrow: Format Option!

Dont click Check device for bad block (too long damageable for device long therme)
#Quick format: Checked
#Create a bootable disk using: Browse your .Iso
#Create extended label: Uncheck (uselless)

-----Advanced Option!------

List Usb as Hard Drive: Unchecked (will only use it for advanced issue aka Bios do no support booting from Usb, and you cant install Plop or wtvr)

!!Add fix for old bios!!: CHECK IT!
Use rufus MBR with Bios ID : UNCHECKED

Start if it prompt you for syslinux, Grub wtvr click ok with internet access it will auto download everything recquired.

What most helpfull with that tool is the fix for bios, it will add an hidden 1mb partition to your Usb (just like it was a MBR wich help a lot!

Once you start installation youl see something happenning 9-10 during installation, it will tell the installation disk it missing or something like that ( this a common Block 1/0 error when installing kali, it just your driver refreshing info, if it does remove the Usb then put it back in.

Same thing happen with Wireless internet connection (except if you have a Cluster in it that old a built-in driver) like a bios or Gpu, you probly wont be able to get connectivity during installation on a wirelless since it have no driver for it

Ah Sweet thanks. But I am only running it live :D But thanks for the effort though appreciate at it.

Np!!

Im completely new to your community (registered yesterday,)

But youl probly notice, that every time i can share some knowledge and answer any question that stand in my range of capacity.

I will always aim to make it in a comprehensiv, and develloped as possible guide.
so whenever someone else need the same information it will be here to grab. x)

and i will simply stack a ''link store'' from all usefull content i found that could be helpfull for the most user as possible.

Best Regards!

When they're is a Shell.. They're is a way ;)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, you're very kind sir. Thanks for all the knowledge that you have shared with the community. One more question, Your personal preference.. Do you think that Kali 1 Or Kali 2 is better at this stage, Kali 2 sure does seem more user friendly like an actual os, But kali 1 definitely has less bugs that Kali 2?

hmm i honnestly coudnt say, except for the overcharged graphical user i coudnt tell you the difference..I personnaly dont need to spend thaat much ressource for the a desktop environment .. My personnal taugh about it is such ressource bruner desktop are not require for the basic Use we wanna install an OS like Kali.. as an exemple i have an old laptop that i use as a 'honey pot'on my network between my server and the incoming internet connection.. hes only purpice is to run 2-3 basic task and filter the packet. I have 3GB ram on it with a 3.2 Ghz dual-core cpu and when i've installed kali only the desktop environment was taking up to 60% of hes ress while a xsdf Debian or Xubunt OS dont even take 20%

i understand kali ccome built-in with lot of tools and fonctionnality but they can be install on any other Debian /Ubuntu based Linux distro also :)

Hmmm... I see. If you are familiar with this operating system called Tails there has been news about it that there has been a security flaw in it, and I was wondering if it's still okay to use for anonymity, on top of tails with VPN, Proxy Browser, Proxy Chain. Do you think it's ok?

*I AM STILL GETTING ERROR AFTER FOOLOWING INSTRUCTION MY USB IS FAT32 BUT WHEN I CREATED BOOTABLE USB OF KALI LINUX 2018.1 IT SHOWS ME ERROR kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on

unknown block(0,0)*

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active