Forum Thread: Installing Kali via USB Encryption and More

Hey fellows,

im new to the Forum and im currently installing Kali on my notebook, but i got some questions.

As far as i know there are atleast 2 ways to run Kali, as an installation on your HDD or as USB powered live version. Im not sure wich one i should use but i guess installing it on the HDD would be the best.

Second, is there a way to encrypt the whole system and clean the RAM after working (like parrotsec)?

Uhm yeah and because its my first post here a friendly "Hello World" to everyone!

-Kitsune The Fox

3 Responses

I run kali as a full install on an encrypted volume. The only trouble I have ran into is crunching numbers in a database. I see alot of overhead when using pyrit to precompute. Light use is fine though. If you need portability then use USB. Simple as that. I like to full install because some things aren't in the distro for my particular equipment. I also like to redo ATI drivers and get SDKs installed.

I simply made some room like 100GB then created a 250MB primary partition for /boot and assigned the rest as an encrypted volume. Then you configure the encrypted volume and after it is mounted you then assign all that space as LVM. Configure LVM and make a group, then make at least 2 volumes. 1 for root / and 1 for swap. Gparted will have the partitions mounted with the labels you had choosen and you configure them like normal(EXT4, assign /). Boot partition should reside on a non-encrypted volume. It's alot of button tapping. Also, when running through the encrypted setup it will write random data to the whole container. This takes awhile but you can hit cancel and move on if you don't want to wait.

This is very vague, but these two links will help you. This MUST be done in a Linux operating system.

This is the first step:

http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-install

NOTE: For step one's URL, make sure you only do steps 1 to 3.

This is the second step:

http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-persistence

NOTE: For step two's URL, make sure you follow up with the preferred way of no encryption or encryption. Also if you are going for no encryption, make sure you insert the correct information in steps 1 and 2. If you are going for the encryption, make sure you insert the correct information in steps 1-3. Do not worry about the steps after.

Read both carefully because both articles talk about different ways and types of methods to approach it. First step is basically burning your .iso of Kali onto the USB. Second step is to apply the usage of live USB persistence in the form of no encryption or with encryption. The commands presented in the articles should be carefully looked at. They may have different disk labels, different size memory of your USB, etc. Make sure everything complies with your USB. Refer back to the second step's "NOTE" and that is all there is to it. If you're stuck or confused, just reply or message me.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active